About Johnny's Half Shell

The Founders

Johnny's Half Shell Co-owner

John Fulchino

Johnny's Half Shell Co-owner James Beard Award Winning Chef

Ann Cashion


MAY 23, 1995

. . . in the heart of Washington, D.C.’s Adams Morgan neighborhood, Chef Ann Cashion and partner John Fulchino opened Cashion’s Eat Place. Chosen by  Bon Appetit magazine as one of America’s best new restaurants, the eatery quickly became a destination for foodies nationwide. Four years later, within the confines of an intimate 35 seat space in Dupont Circle, the pair opened Johnny’s Half Shell. The fast paced, tiny oyster bar, also chosen by Gourmet magazine as ‘Best New Restaurant 1999,’ was a welcomed addition to D.C. fishmongers. Five event-filled years later, Ann Cashion was awarded the prestigious James Beard award for ‘Best Chef Mid-Atlantic.’

          Cashion and Fulchino sold Cashion’s Eat place in 2007, and relocated the Half Shell from Dupont Circle to Capitol Hill for the next decade. In October 2017 at 1819 Columbia Road, in its third incantation, Johnny’s Half Shell opened in the original location of the duo’s beloved Cashion’s Eat Place. Renditions of Chesapeake and Gulf Coast seafood remain the focus of Johnny’s kitchen, and Cashion and Fulchino continue to maintain the restaurants homespun conviviality.

© 2017 by Johnny's Half Shell


NW WASHINGTON, DC 20009